The Wharf opened for business in April 1994, but its beginning could be traced back as far as 1912. That was the year Heber Bell set the original pilings for the building that today is the Wharf.
The Bell family was one of the founding families in the bustling west coast fishing industry. During the 1930’s, the building you are sitting in was a processing plant that was handling thousands of pounds of fish per day! One of the pictures in the hallway shows several trawlers unloading their catch on the backside of the building.
It was during this time period that Heber Bell befriended a man named Clarence Birdseye and together they developed a quick freeze method for freezing fish and vegetables. Although Heber Bell decided to keep his operation local, Mr. Birdseye went national and became the original leader in frozen foods.
The Bell family continued in the fish and frozen fish business; and even today, Robert Bell (third generation) operates a large deep freeze packaging plant in St. Petersburg. The pictures in the hallway are remarked originals from the Bell family photo albums.